I have got back into working mode after nearly 6 months and it’ been killing me. Trying to eat right and be a good wife trying to make proper lunches for Sanju and myself. If I am in a hurry, it is usually the one pot rice that I make (however, You need to keep the veges processed a day before). Looks like a complex recipe and the ingredients list is long-but trust me it’s worth the try.
Basmati Rice- 1 and 1/2 cups
Onion- 3/4 chopped fine+1/4 cubed
Mint and Coriander leaves- leaves from 10 stems each
Ginger-An inch piece
Green Beans-A handful
Garden Peas-A handful
Cauliflower florets-1/4 flower head
Coconut Oil -A Tbsp
Cardamom, Bay Leaf -2 each
Cashews-15 broken into bits
Cumin Seeds-1 heaped tsp
Coconut Milk-1 cup
1. In a high speed blender, grind cloves(toasted in oil, if possible), cinnamon(toasted in oil, if possible), mint and coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chilies, 1/4 of the onion
2. Chop potato, carrot, beans, cauliflower into medium chunks
3. In a heavy bottomed pan/pressure cooker, add coconut oil, cardamom pods, bay leaf, cashews, cumin seeds, let them brown and toss the chopped onion in.
4. Let it turn golden brown and then add the ground paste in and let it cook for a minute and half and then add all the veges in, add salt and let it mix well with the spices
5. Now wash the rice (1.5 cups) and add to the pan. mix them well and toss in some salt, coconut milk (1 cup) and 2 cups of water.
6. Pressure cook for 3 whistles and then 5 mins on low heat or if you are using a pan
Serve with any curry of your choice
Note:You could dilute the coconut milk if it is too thick and creamy. In that case, use 1/2 cup coconut milk and rest water.