I made this awesome pulao using black rice and lentils instead of using basmati rice and lamb. With goodness of raisins, shredded carrots, caramelized onions, raisins, almonds and cashews :), this is the best. Recipe given to me by an Afghan friend of mine.
- Brown lentils- soaked in water for 30 mins and boiled with salt.(1/2 cup)
- Forbidden/Black Rice-cooked in water. (1/2 cup to 1.5 cups water).
- 1/2 boiled potato-chopped fine
- 1 onion-finely chopped
- 1/4 carrot- julienne it
- Cashews, Almonds and Raisins-a handful together
- Caster Sugar=1/2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Spices to be crushed & ground-Cloves-2. Cinnamon-a small stick, Coriander seeds-1 tsp, Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Chili powder-1 tsp
- Rice Bran oil-1 Tbsp
- In a pan, add oil, add the ground spices, let it cook for couple of seconds, add onions and let it caramelize.
- Now add potato cubes, spinach and add chili powder and salt and let it sit on heat for a few minutes until they brown and then add cooked black rice and cooked lentils and mix them well. Add more salt and let it cook until dry and take it off heat.
- Transfer it to a plate
- In the same pan, add little oil, add cashews, almonds, carrots, raisins, sugar and some salt and fry until they brown and add them on top of the rice.
- Mix well before eating. Yum 🙂