Dal /Dahl – Lentil stew seasoned with spices.If you are vegan, you can go to any Indian restaurant and you can ask them to make it vegan (usually it is seasoned with Butter/Ghee)-Ask them to replace with oil. YUM
A very simple recipe-yet full of flavors.
- Split Yellow Mung lentils-1 cup
- Water-2.5 cups
- Turmeric-1 tsp
- Coconut /Rice bran Oil-2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-2 tsp (I love them -little lesser if you think it’s too much)
- Curry leaves-1 big spring-around 15 leaves
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Red Chili-broken into bits-2
- Truss Tomato-1/2-finely chopped
- Salt-to taste
- In a pressure cooker, add the split mung lentils, water, turmeric [NO SALT] and cook until mushy. If you are pan cooking lentils-soak lentils in hot water for 30 mins and then cook-do not cover-remove the foam-at intervals-Cook until mushy. You can use a stick blender to mash it up 🙂 [Always been told that cooking with salt increases the span of cooking-just with lentils]
- Once it is cooked, add needed salt and around 1/2 cup of water-It will thicken with time.
- In a seasoning pan, add oil, mustard seeds, let them pop, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, red chili and let it fry for a few seconds and add tomatoes in and fry until tomatoes are mushy 🙂
- Add it to the dal and heat the entire mixture up for a minute or so. That’s it.
- Yummy dal. Serve with rice.