When I tell people I have skydived, people ask me ‘Was it scary?’. I put on a smug brave face and go ‘Nah, Not really’. Sanju, my husband and I were having this conversation about fear and he asked me what am I petrified about. My answer ‘Hot OIL’. No idea why-I absolutely cannot deep fry anything. I make flat mini falafels so I can pan fry them without much oil. Yeah-a small part of me says-healthier that way but when I look at Samosas at Food Courts [Sanju often distract me with something else-He’d make a great dad-I guarantee you that. He can distract me from ANYTHING], I’m not a great fan of the outer pastry [yes-I’m weird-love the potato filling]
Went to Coles, got myself a good bag of Australian grown-fresh baby potatoes and as usual looking up for any other fresh veges-found iceberg lettuce-I can snack on it non-stop. But my Indian-food loving husband-wouldn’t touch it. How long does it take to put 1 and 1 together-That’s when it hit me-I could make samosa filling, wrap it up in lettuce leaves-he is happy, I am happy-One good happy family 🙂
I read what I just typed, Clearly, I am sleepy and all over the place 😛 Skydiving to frying, falafels, samosas, Sanju as dad- Lol 😀 You get my drift right?
- Few iceberg lettuce leaves-for wraps
- Potatoes-4 boiled and mashed well with potato masher-if you like some chunky pieces-keep them
- Green peas-a handful
- Red Onion-1/2 very finely chopped
- Ginger-1″ piece
- Ground Sambar masala/Ground Chili-1 Tbsp/to taste
- Ground Coriander-1 tbsp
- Ground Fennel seed-2 tsp
- Amchur powder-1 tsp
- Tumeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Curry leaves-1 Sprig
- Rice bran oil-1 tbsp
- Water-1/2 cup
- Salt-to taste
- Coriander leaves-few spring-chopped fine
- To a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, let them pop, add curry leaves, add onions-fry until brown, add all the spices, salt, 1/2 cup water, green peas and let it boil until the spices are well done.
- Add more water if you need.
- Add mashed potatoes and mix them well until potatoes are coated well.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves
- Let it cool a bit
- Wash the lettuce leaves-grab the ones that are fairly big and add the potato filling onto it. Wrap it up-Very smooth and put a toothpick to let the wrap stay.
Does it taste like Samosa-No. Will it satisfy the craving-Hell yeah 🙂
Not fried-Yum Yum and Yum