I think I have tried every single type of Falafel from Lebanese to Syrian. Hypothetically, if there was a chance of rebirth, I would love to be half-Lebanese half-Indian. 🙂 Just for Falafels- My favorite is a fusion between Egyptian and Lebanese. Dried Fava beans and Chickpeas soaked for 24 hours-ground with spices and herbs-Yum 🙂
If I need an authentic recipe, what do I do? Students.. I give them love, respect and knowledge and they give me recipes 🙂 from their mums. When I try them out-that’s out of the world experience 🙂 Made this as a part of my Vegan Lebanese Platter with Mujaddhara
I like falafels to be mini-sized pan fried bites rather than huge deep fried monsters. I haven’t tried baking this-Not a big fan of baking-YET-I’d get there someday.
- Dried Split Fava beans-3/4 cup and Chickpeas-3/4 cup (soaked together overnight-I left them for 24 hours
- Parsley-1/2 bunch
- Coriander-1/2 bunch
- Garlic- 8 cloves-halved
- Onion-1 huge-cubed
- Ground Coriander -2 Tbsp
- Ground Cumin-1 Tbsp
- Lebanese 7 spice mix-1.5 Tbsp
- Salt-to taste
- Recipe given calls for Baking soda- I discarded this cos I pan fry them
- I added Chickpea flour-2 Tbsp
- I added Brown Rice flour-2.5 Tbsp
- Blend chickpea and fava beans until paste-not super smooth-coarsely-I did my most of them smooth and the final processed one was coarse-Watch out for too much water-Add what you need
- Add rest of ingredients except the flour and pulse until they are broken down into tiny bits-Parsley and Coriander leaves go in first-pulse few times and then garlic and onion
- Mix them all well.
- Add chickpea and brown rice flour.
- Make mini sized patties and pan fry them in oil 🙂
- Serve with any of these delicious dips