I had blogged the recipe before but there were some issues with the post. Thought I would re-blog it again. My dad’s mum’s roots traces back to Kerala (one of 4 South Indian states). Although she moved to Tamil Nadu when she was young, mum still cooks recipes from kerala as well. This is her recipe.
Avial is one of those curries which has yogurt base. Guess what-Granny used to make it without yogurt.Yum 🙂
- Eggplant-1 small
- Carrot-1 small
- Green beans-A handful
- Chayote squash/Choko-1
- Tamarind extract- [A small marble-sized image-extract juices from it with 3/4 cup water]
- Grated Frozen Coconut-1/2 cup
- Cumin Seeds-1.5 tsp
- Curry leaves-15
- Green Chili-3
- Salt-to taste
- Grind Coconut, cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chili into a fine paste-in a high speed blender.
- Chop all the veges (shaped like wedges) and put them in a saucepan-add some salt, cover with water, add some turmeric and let it cook. It should not get mushy. When it is 70% done, add the blended paste and tamarind water.
- Wait until the veges are all done.
- Served with rice 🙂