Sanju took me out shopping yesterday, drove into harvey norman and guess what I was gifted with-a DSLR. Nikon. I am totally obsessed with that. Started clicking since morning and do you hear a click? Yep-That’s me. Still clicking.
‘Kootu’ literally translates to ‘add everything together’. Say I have spinach, I add the goodness of cumin and coconut, that’s not enough -so I add cooked mushy Split Yellow Mung. All goodness packed into one curry. And you could have it with rice and it tastes amazing.Made this for lunch today and yep clicked my way through 😛
- Baby Spinach leaves-a 350 gm pack
- Coconut shavings-look out for frozen ones (you definitely will get them in Indian groceries)-Desiccated should work. I haven’t tried yet
- Dry Red Chili-2 (2 more if you like spicy)
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Organic Coconut oil-1 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Curry leaves-few
- Salt-to taste
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp (to boil yellow mung)
- Hing/Asafoetida-a pinch(A pungent spice that adds a flavor once it is sprinkled on oil)
- Split Yellow Mung bean-1/3 cup
- In a sauce pan, bring 1 cup water to boil. Add turmeric in, some salt, yellow mung and cover and cook until really mushy (or) pressure cook the lentils
- Meanwhile, chop spinach fine.
- In a food processor, grind coconut, dry chili, cumin, some water into a smooth paste (if your food processor doesn’t have the provision, you could use a spice mill and powder dry chili, cumin and add coconut, make a powder and add 3 Tbsp of water to make a paste)
- In a pan, add a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves, wait until they start crackling, now add hing aka asafoetida, after couple of seconds, add chopped spinach and fry until they wilt.
- Now, you add the coconut paste, lentils, taste-check for salt and cover and let it cook for 5 mins on a low heat.
- Serve with rice/papadums 🙂
Do you think the photos look good? Any suggestions? Am listening as I am clicking <3