Meatless Monday Post- I got these awesome mini-button mushrooms from coles. They looked so cute-I didn’t want to chop them. So there I was, thinking what to do with them.
Who doesn’t love stuffed mushrooms and I hadn’t made them in a while. Decided to go ahead with that-rummaging through my recipe book-I found a mexican spiced, stuffed mushrooms served with Guacamole.Recipe called for deep frying, I tried to blanch mushrooms and tried the same stuff. It tasted awesome. It is super-easy -under 20 mins and they make awesome appetizers 🙂
- Potato-1/2 large-chopped in halves
- Garlic-one clove
- Red onion-finely chopped-1/4 onion
- Almonds-chopped in bits
- Chili powder/Chili flakes/Mexican seasoning-to taste(1/2 tsp)
- Mint, Coriander leaves-5 each-chopped very fine
- Button Mushrooms-10
- Salt-to taste
- Coconut oil-1 tsp
- My Super Awesome Guacamole
- In a saucepan, add 1 cup water, salt, bring it to boil, washed button mushrooms, cover and let it cook for 10 mins. Turn heat off and let it stay in the water for 5 mins. Drain, add it to paper towels, remove the stalks, pat them dry. Keep them aside
- Meanwhile, add halved potato to boiling water, add some salt, cover and cook until potatoes are well done. Grate the potato, add it to a bowl.
- In a pan, add coconut oil, add chopped almonds, once they turn brown, add red onions, garlic, once red onions are caramelized, add to grated potatoes, add some chili powder, coriander & mint leaves and do taste check. If you need extra salt/chili powder, add them in.
- Now, stuff this inside the mushroom caps and grill them on a griddle, roast on both sides on a low heat.
- Serve on a bed of Guacamole