There was a sale going on in Woolies. Pumpkin 🙂 And friends were coming over. I was not in the mood to make a normal onion/tomato curry. And then I remembered Sonal’s Pumpkin curry.To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about the recipe. Was like, ‘What? no onion, garlic, ginger or tomatoes’. Just pumpkin and ton load of spices. But it was d’vine. Think about a curried pumpkin mash. That’s what this is. I increased/decreased the quantities per my taste.
What is your favorite pumpkin recipe?
- Butternut Pumpkin-1 kg-cubed
- Coconut Oil-1 Tbsp
- Black Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
- Kalonji Seeds-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Dry Chili-2
- Bay leaf-1 large,broken into 2
- Ground Turmeric-1 tsp
- Red Chili powder-2 tsp (for spicy), 1 tsp (for mild)
- Ground Coriander-2 Tbsp
- Palm sugar -1 Tbsp
- Water-1 cup and half
- Salt-to taste
- Tamarind pulp-1 Tbsp tightly packed soaked in 1/2 cup hot water. Squeeze the pulp and take out all the juices.
- In a large stockpot, add oil, once hot, add mustard seeds ,kalonji seeds and bay leaf.
- Once they start to pop, add hing, dry chili, cumin and fenugreek, all at once.
- After they sizzle, turn heat to low, add ground turmeric, chili powder and ground coriander and with a spatula, it will get a bit dry, add half cup water, bring it to boil.
- Now, add chopped pumpkin pieces, add rest of the water, cover and cook for 15 mins on low-medium heat. Check if it completely well done. If not, cover and cook for another 10 mins and then mash with potato masher.
- Add tamarind juice and again, cover and cook for another 10 mins on medium heat stirring every 3 minutes once, ensuring it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with rice/gluten-free bread
Fancy curries? Try this foolproof eggplant curry