Allow me to introduce you to my recent breakfast obsession-Chickpea flour scrambled eggs. After going vegan, eggs are something I miss more than even cheese.
My parents are vegetarians. I grew up vegetarian with exception of eggs. My mum did not know how to cook eggs. So she would let me go to our neighbours who would make amazing scrambled eggs. When I told mum I am going vegan, the first thing mum asked was how I was going to manage without eggs. She was so right. Thanks to Chickpea flour and Tofu, I am not missing eggs.
It took me so so long to nail this recipe. I make vegan omelettes, tofu scramble but was never able to get this one. Then, out of blue this morning, it worked. Fluffy, with mushrooms and spinach, YUM <3
- Chickpea Flour-2 Tbsp
- Brown rice Flour-2 Tbsp
- Water-7 Tbsp
- Nutritional Yeast-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/4 tsp
- Kala Namak aka Black Salt-1/4 tsp [gives an awesome eggy effect]
- Salt-to taste
- Garlic flakes-1/2 tsp
- Oil-1 tsp
- Vegetables- assortment of chopped onions, spinach,kale,mushrooms
- In a bowl, add chickpea flour,brown rice flour,yeast,turmeric,black salt,salt,garlic flakes,water and mix until there are no lumps. Set aside
- In a sauce pan, heat oil, add vegetables, saute them for couple of minutes and pour the batter over top.
- Let it cook on one side, flip and let it cook half way through the other and start to break it down.
- It will start to lump, cover and cook for a minute. Open, scramble the mixture. Repeat this 6 more times until chickpea flour cooks completely through and starts to crisp a bit.
- Remove off heat and serve hot 🙂
Do you crave more for scrambled eggs? Try this Moroccan Tofu Scramble