I grew up in a house hold, where we don’t discard any parts of vegetables. Be it -vegetable peels, onion scraps, nothing would get into the bin-until all the nutrients have been sucked out -and the scraps are completely inedible.
From a very very young age, my granny never let me waste even a speckle. Plates had to be clean after eating. The only thing, I was allowed to waste were chilies (Duh!). My mum was worse-she would grind chilies-so we get the nutrients. Couple of years back, I visited Soweto, in South Africa and I started to value every single meal I eat. The thing that annoys me the most is that people justify that, you wasting your food is not going to change things in countries, where people struggle to have one good meal a day. Of course, it is not going to change anything, but you could respect the fact that you have a meal and be thankful for that. It ain’t too hard.
Did you know you can turn the peel to an awesome dip? With some simple ingredients, you can create magic <3
- Onion-1 medium-cubed-around 1/3 cup
- Green Chili/ Jalapeño pepper-1/more for extra spicy effect
- Tomato-1/2-cubed-around 1/3 cup
- Cucumber peel from 2 cucumbers-around 2 cups
- Roasted peanuts-1/3 cup
- Shredded Coconut-1/4 cup
- Coconut oil-1.5 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- In a pan ,add coconut oil, heat it and add onion, garlic and green chili.
- Fry until translucent, add roasted peanuts and fry for couple of minutes.
- Now add tomatoes, cucumber peel, 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 5 mins on medium flame.
- Add shredded coconut, turn off heat and let them cool for 20 minutes
- Process until completely smooth and serve with carrots <3
What do you do to minimise wastage? Don’t forget to comment below 🙂 Taking them to FF#69
Do you love dips? Try this Baba Ganoush. It is yum <3