Kale sweet potato salad-perfect for Sydney winter. Warm, full of flavour, an awesome Tahini dressing, with some chickpeas croutons, this is perfect 🙂 I had some Lebanese 7-spice mix, (I pestered my colleague to give me some – When I go out of stock, I ask him and he gets me small sachets full of these amazing spice mix). And, I make Kale chips all the time. First time, I used them in salads. Why didn’t I think about it all these days? I LOVED it. Guess what the dressing for this salad is ‘Tahini Dressing’. Complements the salad really well.
For the salad and chickpea croutons
- Kale-3 stalks-tear into leaves
- Sweet Potato-2 medium-cut into wedges
- Cooked Chickpeas-200 grams / Use 1 can of chickpeas-pat them dry on paper towels.
- Salt-to taste
- Olive oil-drizzle per taste (could skip this)
- Lebanese 7-spice-1 Tbsp + 1 tsp
- Rice bran oil -1.5 tsp
For the dressing
- Tahini-2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice-1 Tbsp
- Garlic cloves -2 [I roast them with chickpeas and use roasted garlic ones]
- Balsamic Vinegar-1/2 tsp
- Agave nectar-1/2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Water-2 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 170 deg.
- In a pan, heat 1.5 tsp oil, add 1 Tbsp of Lebanese spice mix, let it roast on low flame for a minute. To this, add cooked/canned chickpeas, some salt and roast for one more minute.
- Transfer to one tray. Add couple of garlic cloves. Keep aside.
- In another tray, add sweet potatoes, sprinkle 1tsp of Lebanese spice on top, salt, olive oil.
- Transfer both trays into the oven and at each 12 minute mark (take garlic out now), take the chickpea tray out and shake once and back into the oven.
- Both chickpeas and sweet potatoes cook around the same time. Ensure sweet potatoes are roasted.
- Meanwhile, add all the dressing elements to a food processor and process until creamy. Set aside.
- You could add raw kale to your salad or saute them a bit, so they wilt but retain their crunch. [This is what I do: In the pan you roasted chickpeas, add kale leaves, 1 cup at a time, cover and let it steam for a minute. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat for all kale leaves. They turn beautiful lush green when done]
- Toss them all together in a bowl and serve warm.
Taking them to FF#69