Two of my best mates (M and J) at work have Lebanese background. I showed them Omar’s Potato Kibbeh ( I reckon he is one of the best food bloggers out there, Thanks Omar) and asked them if they had ever had it. They said Kibbeh is usually one of the best Lebanese meat dishes and mocked around claiming that vegan version will never be the same as the meat one. We let the topic slide past and a week later, guess what happened. M started going on about a vegan butternut pumpkin kibbeh he had and apparently, he loved it.
I adapted Omar’s recipe, added some kent pumpkin, turned the spices high (for Sanju) and that was the best dinner of the week. Last week was terrible in Sydney. No sun, was just raining and so, the photos are not the best. 9 ingredients, takes around an hour to make, but satisfaction guaranteed.
Am just heartbroken after game of thrones season 5. Do you follow the show? WTH just happened??? Keeping this post short 🙁
- 1.5 cups Kent pumpkin- baked, mashed & measured (I used around 1/4 th of a Kent pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
- 1.5 cups cooked white quinoa
- 1 cup loosely packed sliced onions
- 1/4 cup white/brown onion grated (not red onion)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1.5 tsp Lebanese 7 spice mix
- Salt-to taste
- 1 Tbsp + 1.5 tsp Olive Oil
- Garlic-3 cloves-grated (optional)
- 1 tsp ground red chilies (optional-reduce to 1/2 for medium spicy)
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg.
- In a large mixing bowl, add mashed pumpkin, potatoes, quinoa, grated onion, garlic (if adding), parsley, spices, salt and knead into a dough. This should not be watery. (if it gets watery, add couple of Tbsp of
- On to a 8*8 square baking pan, add sliced onions, spread them evenly across the base, add 1.5 tsp of oil, add the dough and press to the base (again make sure it is even)
- Use a knife to score diamond shapes into the dough, going almost all the way through.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil all across the surface.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until they have firmed up and starts to brown
- Serve with Popeye Hummus & Falafels
Love Quinoa? Try these hummus quinoa fritters